Dec 28, 2009

Traditions

I think my favorite part of Christmas is the traditions. I like the rhythm of performing all the same little rituals year after year. For my family, Christmas means new pajamas, eating our grandmother's stuffing, and a screening of old home videos.


The youngest member of my immediate family will turn 20 this year. We're all well past the age where Christmas revolves around Santa. But regardless, our Christmas eve still ends with a plate of cookies and a handwritten note reminding St. Nick that we've all been (relatively) good this year.

Some traditions deserve to last well past the point where they make sense. At our house, any break in tradition is usually met with a moderate amount of panic and protest, and with good reason. These little rituals make my parent's house feel like our home again, even though it's been years since any kids lived there. They make a group of people now scattered across the country feel like a family. These traditions and the memories they invoke serve as little reminders of all the history that ties us together. They're worth celebrating.

No comments:

Post a Comment