Dec 5, 2009

Standing on Winter's Doorstep

It's snowing right now; not that gentle, flaky snow. Nope, it's the rainy, sludgy, wet kind. I'll be the first to admit that winter is not my favorite. Every year I cling for dear life to the last days of fall, refusing to trade in my pumpkins and sneakers for Christmas lights and insulated boots. I'm not looking forward to a barren garden, temperatures in the teens, or sunsets before 5:00. All that can wait.


But the snow? That's a different story. Right now I'm sitting in a coffee shop watching the snowfall from a safe, warm distance, and I have to admit it's beautiful. Even the sludgy snow makes the city seem a little quieter, a little cleaner. I may not be ready to embrace winter, but for now, I can make my peace with the snow.

... but I'm still keeping my pumpkins.

No comments:

Post a Comment