Dec 29, 2009

Mimi's Gift

My grandma Mimi passed away when I was 7. I have scattered memories of her from my childhood - making me sandwiches in her kitchen, playing "the counting game" with my little sister, decorating her screen door with seashells we found on trips to the beach. Though my family cherishes these little memories, it's been a long time since we've received anything tangible that connects us to her.

But on Christmas eve, we opened a large package from my aunt. Inside was a tangled mass of yarn scraps and half used skeins, along with a note explaining that this was Mimi's knitting stash. We were in awe.


We quickly decided that this yarn could not be used for just any project, but needed to be saved for something meaningful. After some deliberation, we decided to use all the scraps for a very colorful Christmas tree garland. I spent Christmas eve and day slowly knitting a very long I-cord that will adorn our tree in years to come.


Little by little, memories of Mimi are working their way back into the present. We're all very grateful for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment