Mar 28, 2010

Leftover Pie

I've discovered that eating seasonally means you can rarely follow a recipe exactly. Most cook books and web cites suggest combining ingredients that don't usually grow in the same season. As a result, any "flexible" recipes I come across inevitably end up getting used again and again.

I got this great recipe for vegetable pot pie from http://earthgirlknits.blogspot.com/2010/03/pot-pie.html . As I read the directions, it occurred to me that this pie can be adapted to include pretty much anything, any time of year. I decided to try it out the night before the farmer's market as a way to get rid of all the leftover produce I hadn't yet eaten this week.



(Yes, it looks a little weird. I ran out of dough for the top of the crust, but I promise, the flavor was not affected).

Leftover pie is destined to become a regular in my kitchen. It was so much fun to make, and since the leftovers in my fridge change every week, I don't think this dish will ever be boring.

Local ingredients in my pie:
  • flour
  • butter
  • butternut squash
  • mushrooms
  • white beans
  • parsnip
  • swiss chard
  • onions

No comments:

Post a Comment