Mar 13, 2010

Bakers

I've been told that there are cooks and there are bakers. I am a cook. I substitute ingredients based on what's in the fridge, I measure amounts by eye-balling how much more will fit in the pan, and when I take notes on a recipe, they usually include such insightful comments as "next time it needs more flavor." These traits make for some creative and varied meals, but baking? Baking is different. Baking requires precision.

I have very few baking success stories.

Still, despite my past failures, tonight's meal compelled me to try again. Now that parsley is finally available at the market again, I spent the week perfecting my falafel recipe, and I needed some pita bread to go with it. So, armed with a stocked pantry and the greatest vegetarian cookbook I know of (Mollie Katzen's Moosewood), I attempted to bake.


2 hours later I had some very respectable pita. It's not perfect, but it's pretty good for a "cook".

Local ingredients in my pita/falafel:
  • Whole wheat flour
  • Honey
  • Corn meal
  • White beans
  • Onion
  • Parsley
  • Garlic
  • Yogurt cheese
  • Lettuce

No comments:

Post a Comment