Nov 23, 2009

Thanksgiving: Take 1


My parents usually have Thanksgiving at their house, and this year I'd really like to help make the dinner (I want to learn my grandmother's stuffing recipe). Unfortunately, my mother's typical response to inquiries about how I can help is, "you can help me by getting out of the kitchen so I can finish. Go watch the parade." 

Instead of getting in her way, I decided that I could prove my worth in the kitchen by making Thanksgiving lunch. I starting searching for a pumpkin soup recipe that I could make almost entirely out of local ingredients. I figured soup would be something light, so it won't fill everyone up before dinner, and it can be prepared ahead so it'll keep us from interrupting my mom in the kitchen. After weeks of searching for the perfect recipe, I made this...

...and it was crap. My devoted taste tester took 1 bite and said "I love you, but please don't make people eat this." He spent the rest of the day referring to the soup as "poo food" - a delightful little nickname referring to its color and texture. 

I haven't given up on the idea of Thanksgiving lunch, but if I try to serve my family "poo food," I think I'll be banned from the kitchen permanently. So for now it's back to the drawing board.

No comments:

Post a Comment